Kistesimaw is an prevention program in Winnipeg that focus on one on one and small group mentorship to boys under the age of 12 in conflict or at risk of being in conflict with the law.
The activities of Kistesimaw will provide positive alternatives to children and families through:
- cultural programming,
- learning for life programming,
- free recreation/leisure opportunities through the city of Winnipeg,
- Ongoing support and advocacy to the child and family as needed.
The Role of the Youth Advocate Worker/Mentor is to:
- Develop a collective strategy with the child’s caregiver to address the needs of the child
- Develop life skills through learning exercises and mentoring
- Organize activities that the youth and family can participate in together
- Collaborate with the child’s school representatives to improve school performance that include attendance, behavior, homework and participation in extra-curricular activities
- Identify opportunities and assist the child to participate in community activities that are age appropriate and engaging
- Children under the age of 12 identified as at-risk of coming into contact with the law.
- Children under the age of 12 and behaving in ways that may result in criminal charges if they were 12 or older.
Intake to the Program
If you would like to get a referral to Kistesimaw you must contact the Turnabout Coordinator to start the intake process.
Telephone: (204) 945-5609
Fax: (204) 948-2113