Medicine Bear Counselling, Support & Elder Services Program
Medicine Bear Counselling, Support & Elder Services Program:
Medicine Bear Counselling, Support and Elder Services will provide families of murdered and missing women the opportunity to heal from complicated grief and trauma within a culturally safe and supportive environment.
Medicine Bear Counselling, Support and Elder Services was developed at the request of the families of Missing and Murdered Indigenous women and girls, and in partnership with others, including the Province of Manitoba’s Action Group on Exploited & Vulnerable Women, as well as Manitoba Justice’s Victim Services and the Department of Justice Canada.
Medicine Bear Philosophy:
Medicine Bear Counselling, Support & Elder Services builds on the strengths and resilience of families that have been impacted by the tragic loss of missing and murdered loved ones. We incorporate Traditional ways of healing as well as Western methodologies.
Medicine Bear Counselling, Support & Elder Services philosophy is based on the Anishinaabe Sacred Seven Teachings:
- Respect: Maanaji”’iwin: to honor all Creation is to have respect
- Love: Zaagi’idiwin: to know love is to know peace
- Wisdom: Gikendaasowin: to cherish knowledge is to know wisdom
- Courage: Zoonigide’ewin: to face the foe with integrity
- Honesty: Gawegaatisiwin: to face a situation is to be brave
- Humility: Dabasenimowin: to know yourself as a sacred part of Creation
- Truth: Debwemowin: to know all of these things
Services provided include:
- Individual counselling sessions (trauma, complex, trauma, grief, family wellness, anxiety, depression, etc.)
- Developing supports with weekly circle check ins
- Referrals and advocacy
- Support within the Justice System, Child and Family Services, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and other Agencies
- Elder Support Services (when requested)
- Traditional Ceremonies and Teachings
- Training and workshops
- Mediation services for families, police and justice officials
A comprehensive Tool Kit of information to assist families of Missing Persons & Persons at Risk is now available through Medicine Bear Counselling, Support & Elder Services program at Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc. and is available for download here.
For more information: within Winnipeg please contact 204-594-6500 ext. 102 or 104, or if outside of Winnipeg please contact 1-888-953-KANI (5264).
MEDICINE BEAR COUNSELLING, SUPPORT & ELDER SERVICES is funded with assistance from: Government of Canada, Department of Justice and Manitoba Justice.
If you would like to download a copy of the form for printing and fax submission please click here.
For more information, fill out our online form, or contact:
Phone: (204) 953-5820