Full Time (40 hours per week)
About the Role:
Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, the Program Helper provides ongoing support and assistance to the needs of participants and employees of Velma’s House 24/7 Safe Space.
The safe space is a low barrier drop-in space for all women, including members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, who are unsheltered and experiencing sexual exploitation or violence. The staff team operates with compassion, from a trauma-informed and harm-reduction lens, respecting participants’ choices and autonomy. A wide variety of services are provided, from basic needs and everyday items, to cultural programming and ongoing support.
The Program Helper will work with the staff team to ensure the drop in runs effectively; preparing and serving meals, cleaning, providing participants with the items they need for the day, getting groceries and other supplies as needed. The Program Helper shift supports both the Day and Evening Support Workers and must work as a team to ensure both shifts have supplies, food, and that the Safe Space is cleaned effectively for shift change
What You Bring
- Understanding of issues related to mental health, addictions, homelessness, sexual exploitation and violence; lived experience or training, or combination
- Completion of a post-Secondary education in Community Development, Family Studies, Women and Gender Studies or related fields
- Understanding of systems and resources in Winnipeg
- Commitment to cultural reclamation practices
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and written
- Understanding of harm reduction principles
- Proven experience in applying an anti-oppressive framework
- Demonstrated understanding of issues impacting the 2SLGBTQ+ community and commitment to equality and advocacy
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work calmly in stressful or crisis situations
- Ability to work respectfully and in the spirit of teamwork
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate, Mental Health First Aid, ASIST all considered an asset
- Food Handlers
- Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle
Here’s a sample of the many benefits Ka Ni Kanichihk employees enjoy:
Comprehensive Benefits including Health and Dental • Long-Term Disability • Life Insurance • Employee and Family Assistance • Training and Development opportunities • Free on-site parking • Employee appreciation events •
Candidates are required to provide a current Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
Ka Ni Kanichihk is committed to achieving employment equity; therefore, applicants are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter if they are of Indigenous ancestry. In addition, Velma’s House is committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive space for all women, therefore 2 Spirit, trans and non-binary women are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this position.
This posting will remain open until the positions are filled with an on-going review of applications.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to:
Human Resources Specialist
Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc.
101-1065 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 0B6
Ka Ni Kanichihk thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.