Full Time (40 hours/week)
About the Role
Medicine Children’s Lodge Daycare is a non-profit organization which currently supports 16 daycare children (expanding to 48 by 2025), parents and various program opportunities for children. Daycare Supervisors and Assistant Directors are encouraged to apply!
We are Looking For…
A leader and mentor to our Early Childcare Educators and Child Care Assistants by executing and developing an Indigenous Curriculum and following the requirements of the Manitoba Child Daycare Standards Act. Must be able to provide and apply culturally safe, gender inclusive, and anti-oppressive practices in all aspects of communication, daily practices and management activities. You will be experienced with frontline interactions with the children, providing positive behavioral reinforcements and redirections. The Daycare Director will lead traditional ceremonial practices such as smudging, drumming, and singing with the children.
The curriculum is Play Based, Emergent and Indigenous focused. Each month a curriculum emphasis is on one of the Seven Sacred Teachings. Our circle teachings include Cree & Ojibwe Intro to Language through song and drumming, the Child’s Relationship to Land; Metis Culture; Childs’s Relationship to Indigenous Ceremony & Self; Health & Wellness; & Safety in their Environment. We also have a green space we use regularly beside our Centre.
What You Bring:
The ideal candidate is a highly-motivated individual who meets the following essential requirements:
- Hold a Diploma in Early Childhood Education III from a Provincial College; or an Undergraduate Degree from a University in Manitoba which meet the ECE III requirements under the Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care Program;
- Have 5 years of Supervisor or Daycare Director experience in daily administration, including but not limited to; daycare budgeting, staffing, attendance management, purchasing, menu planning, grant writing and expanding daycare operations;
- Hold a current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR certificate;
- Have experience providing front line daily care to children which includes toileting, feeding, napping and program planning;
- Experience with rotation of Room Toy/Equipment, and Art /Craft implementation;
- Value and promote ECE students in the workplace by supporting, mentoring, collaborating and evaluating students;
- Create daily scheduled programming experiences, in addition to providing updates for families;
- Customize activities that will motivate the development of the children’s cognitive, physical, social and emotional growth;
- Observe, document, plan, and incorporate Indigenous programming to make sure it is inclusive of children with supportive requirements;
- Understand and implement Manitoba’s Best Practices for Early Learning and Child Care;
- Thrive in a fast-paced Infant/Preschool daycare;
- Contribute ideas to improve procedures and systems;
- Add value to an environment that fosters growth, development and innovation and is comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback;
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with Humility, Honesty, Respect, Love, Truth, Wisdom and Courage with children, staff of Ka Ni Kanichihk Daycare and their families;
- Physical ability to use low chairs and to lift, transfer, feed and toilet infant/preschool children;
- Physically able to wash and disinfect toys and move small furniture and child care equipment as per monthly schedule;
- Able to provide 2 work references, from a Supervisor or Director at current or past employee centre;
What We Offer:
Ka Ni Kanichihk is a progressive, holistic organization that is invested in employee wellness. We are proud to offer:
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Employer contributed pension program
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress
- Employee training & development
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume, detailing how you meet the requirements of this posting, and your salary expectations. Salary is commensurate on experience with a Provincially Licensed Non-Profit Centre at $27.15 – $29.23
Candidates are required to provide a current (within the past 3 months) Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, a valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, and a driver’s abstract prior to starting this position.
Ka Ni Kanichihk remains committed to achieving employment equity; candidates are encouraged to self-declare in their cover letter if they are of Indigenous ancestry.
Applications will be reviewed upon received Please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Human Resource Specialist
Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc.
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0R8
Ka Ni Kanichihk thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.