Evenings, Overnights, Weekends, Full Time, Part Time, Casual
About the Role
Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, Support Staff are responsible for day-to-day interactions with participants of Velma’s House Safe Space. The safe space is a low barrier drop-in space for all women, including members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, who are experiencing sexual exploitation, violence, or homelessness. The staff team operates with compassion from a trauma informed and harm reduction lens, respecting the women’s choices and autonomy. Support staff provide services based on participants needs, plan and implement a variety of workshops and programming, and are responsible for meal preparation and ongoing maintenance and cleaning/sanitizing. Support staff assist participants in goal setting, system navigation and provide advocacy. Staff may be required to assist in reporting/statistics tracking, advertising and community connecting, as requested by the Program Coordinator.
What You Bring:
- Education/training in the area of sexual exploitation, lived-experience or combination of both
- Strong ability to form relationships with participants in short time frames
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and written
- Knowledge of community resources and programs
- Strong understanding of harm reduction principles
- Demonstrated understanding of issues impacting the 2SLGBTQ+ community and commitment to equality and advocacy
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work calmly in stressful or crisis situations
- Proven experience in using/applying an anti-oppressive framework
- High level of self-awareness
- Commitment to cultural reclamation practices
- Ability to carry out appropriate record-keeping duties including case notes and data collection, etc.
- Ability to work respectfully and in the spirit of teamwork
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate
- Valid driver’s license and access to vehicle
Here’s a sample of the many benefits Ka Ni Kanichihk employees enjoy:
Comprehensive Benefits including Health and Dental • Long-Term Disability • Life Insurance • Employee and Family Assistance • Training and Development opportunities • Free on-site parking • Employee appreciation events •
Ka Ni Kanichihk is committed to achieving employment equity; therefore, applicants are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter if they are of Indigenous ancestry. In addition, Velma’s House is committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive space for all women, therefore 2 Spirit, trans and non-binary women are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this position.
This posting will remain open until the positions are filled with an on-going review of applications. Please describe what shift(s) you are looking for in your application (Evenings, Weekends, Overnights, Casual, PT or FT).
Please send a Resume and Cover Letter to:
Human Resources Specialist
Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc.
101-1065 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 0B6
Ka Ni Kanichihk thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.