About the Role:
Velma’s House 24/7 Safe Space is a low-barrier, drop-in space for all women, including female identifying members of the 2SLGBTTQIA+ community who are unsheltered, or experiencing sexual exploitation and violence. It serves a place of comfort, connection, and safety, where women in Winnipeg have access to meaningful and relevant services and programming when they need it most. Services include referrals to additional supports and resources, shower, washroom, meals, laundry, hygiene items, harm reduction supplies, cultural supports and ceremony, emergency clothing and one-on-one one coaching and support. The staff team operates with compassion, utilizing am anti-oppressive and harm reduction lens, respecting the women’s choices and autonomy. The Program Coordinator plays a main role in establishing the atmosphere of the Safe Space, therefore they are required to lead the team in creating policies and practices that ensure the space is inclusive, warm and welcoming, calm and organized, as well as culturally safe for all who enter the building.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Program Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the operation of the Safe Space. The Program Coordinator is responsible for leading a team of full time and casual staff, providing ongoing supervision, coaching, direction and team building. Their day to day workload consists of a variety of program related tasks, including administrative (networking, attending meetings, managing the schedule and in-house budget, filing and paperwork, statistics tracking, etc.), coaching (team-building, supervisions and goals setting with staff, problem solving, conflict management, etc.), and front line (cleaning, meal preparation, shopping, responding to participant needs, etc.).
What You Bring
- Education or lived experience in the areas of sexual exploitation, homelessness, substance use
- Post-secondary education in the areas of Social Work, Indigenous Wellness or related fields
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in direct supervision role and experience in program coordination and development
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills, high level of self-awareness
- Ability to carry out appropriate record-keeping duties including case notes and data collection, etc.
- Able to work calmly in crisis situations
- Extensive knowledge of community resources and system navigation
- Commitment to cultural reclamation practices
- Ability to work respectfully and in the spirit of teamwork
- Demonstrated understanding of issues impacting the 2SLGBTQ+ community and commitment to equality and advocacy and knowledge of gender-based violence
- Proven experience in using/applying an anti-oppressive framework
- Strong understanding of harm reductions principles
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate
- Valid Driver’s License and access to vehicle
Here’s a sample of the many benefits Ka Ni Kanichihk employees enjoy:
Comprehensive Benefits including Health and Dental • Long-Term Disability • Life Insurance • Employee and Family Assistance • Training and Development opportunities • Free on-site parking • Employee appreciation events •
Candidates are required to provide a current Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
Ka Ni Kanichihk is committed to achieving employment equity; therefore, applicants are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter if they are of Indigenous ancestry. In addition, Velma’s House is committed to maintaining a safe and inclusive space for all women, therefore 2 Spirit, trans and non-binary women are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this position.
This posting will remain open until the positions are filled with an on-going review of applications. Ka Ni Kanichihk thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send a Resume and Cover Letter to:
Human Resources Administrator
Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc.
455 McDermot Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3A 0B6